Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 6

Hello Friends,
Today was another wonderful day in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.  Mom and Dad called a couple of times between last night and this morning to see how well I was remembering to breathe.  Little did they know I was just fine, and had no more apnea spells from the previous morning marking 36 hours of constant breathing.  However, my nurses reassure them at every call with news of what's going on, and how I am doing. 


Mom hanging onto my body.

I also decided I wanted a little bit more food (from .6mL/hour to 1.2mL/hour) effectively doubling my food intake.  Just like what Dad does on his special eating days.  I have even begun to gain a little of my weight back.  I suppose I'll have to go back to weightwatchers once I get home to help keep my six pack. I hope to get back to my birth weight by about day 10 or so.  For now, I am just trying to keep up on my studies.



The line into my belly was becoming particularly irksome, so I asked that they put in a PICC line into my ankle.  A PICC line, or  peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC or PIC line) is a form of intravenous access that can be used for a prolonged period of time.  Provided this has been inserted well, they will remove my umbilical line tomorrow and that will help my time in here go a little smoother.



My bilirubin (or the Latin name: Billy Reuben Sandwich) score remains low so for the time being, I am able to stay out of the sun light without a need for shades. This has helped to keep the swelling around my eyes down, and so I have spent a bunch of my day simply lying still looking around. 


While I like the organic natural milk, it seems Dad prefers some low rent beer. Mom says no more storing the beer next to the milk.

Mom and Dad told me that Ella had come back home from spending some time at Grandad's.  It sounds like she is one happy excited dog to meet me, but it'll have to wait a little bit longer.  For now, she has been spending her time lying in the sun and sniffing my new clothes in the house...



Mom continues to do really well, and is feeling better every day.  Dad has started running again now that grad school is over, and later on I will make fun of his Vibram Five Finger Shoes .  For now, I'm just happy they are treating me so well.



Goodnight for now,
Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment